Boy, do I love this time of year. I love the weather cooling, pumpkin scented everything and picking out costumes for trick or treating. And picking out our family pumpkins has got to be one of my favorite traditions.
Enter in my favorite Halloween picture book: Pick a Pumpkin by Patricia Toht
Check out my other Painted Pumpkin Art Project inspired by the book HERE.
There are SO many adorable and super fun art projects for kids with a pumpkin theme. But this year, our parish is having a pumpkin carving contest following the All Saints Day Mass… and the carving has to have a Catholic theme. BOOM. New art project inspiration!
I’ve created an art project that presents an opportunity to plant those seeds of faith with your little ones. Cutting out symmetrical shapes and gluing to a background and adding sparkly star stickers and even glitter! BUT the focus is on the “carving.” We did a simplified Sacred Heart of Jesus shape, but I’ve also included templates for the Eucharist, a simple cross, a more advanced Sacred Heart and a dove.
I hope you can find joy and value in this Halloween pumpkin art project for your kids that celebrates the fire we have burning in our hearts for Christ as Catholics and Christians.
🎥 Check out my quick intro to this project and a time-lapse video of the art tutorial.
Here is what you need to make this project:
- 12″x 18″ orange paper
- 12″ x 18″ black paper
- 9″ x 12″ yellow painted or regular paper
- Green and brown paper scraps for leaf & stem
- White school glue
- Crayon or pencil
- Templates FREE download (see bottom of post)
- Glitter foam star stickers (optional)
- White liquid tempera paint
- Take the orange paper and fold in half. Starting at the top of the paper on the fold, with a pencil or crayon draw a large backwards C that goes all the way to the bottom.
- Cut along the line with the paper folded and open to reveal a symmetrical pumpkin.
- Pick a template and trace half of it along the fold of the folded pumpkin paper.
- While folded, cut out the shapes.
- Open to reveal a symmetrical “CARVED” pumpkin.
6. Glue to yellow painted paper and trim edges.
7. Glue to a black paper background. Add a stem and a leaf. Dip the q-tip into the white paint and add starts.
You could also add sparkly foam star stickers you can find at a craft store like Michael’s or Amazon.
8. Trace the cut out shapes with glue and sprinkle on glitter. Shake off excess and let dry.
Click the image below ⬇️ to get your FREE printable templates for this project